October 3 – 11
2022 San Francisco Fleet Week
The Center for Humanitarian Assistance provides programs designed to help the nation to better prepare for, respond to and recover from natural and man-made disasters. The Center is the nation’s leading resource for joint military and civilian training, education, and thought leadership programs to support humanitarian missions.
The Center’s programs are a fixture in San Francisco and New York Fleet Weeks serving in an advisory capacity in programs around the globe. Below you will find a sample of events organized and hosted by The Center:
The Center for Humanitarian Assistance Program includes:
- The Humanitarian Assistance Village – On the Marina Green during the Air Show, military and civilian first responders exhibit and demonstrate humanitarian assistance and disaster response resources such as field hospitals, water purification systems and command and communication vehicles.
- STEM Education Center – Co-located within the HAV is the STEM Education Center where Military and civilian organizations put on interactive and static displays demonstrating the wonders of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education. Exhibits include robotics, energy, communications, and other STEM-related programs
- The K-9 Heroes Program – Military, police, fire and search & rescue dogs demonstrate their abilities, including therapy tasks, drug and food detection, law enforcement, and bomb detection.
- Veteran Photography Exhibit – This exhibit features original works by students of the Academy of Art University who are currently serving or veterans of the US Military Services. This special exhibit is open to the public throughout Fleet Week at the Academy of Art University Gallery, 625 Sutter Street.
- High School Band Challenge – Select Bay Area high school bands compete for prize money to support their school music programs. The United States Marine Corps 1st Marine Division Band kicks off this event with a stirring performance of patriotic songs and a musical celebration and serves as the panel of judges. This event has donated over $100,000 to local music programs.
Invitation Only Events
- Joint Military/Civilian Exercises – Table top and live exercises allow civilian and military teams to practice supply and logistics plans in a post-disaster environment.
- Senior Leaders Seminar – Military and civilian leaders attend a series of lectures, panel discussions, and workshops on best practices in humanitarian assistance and disaster response.
- Peer to Peer Medical Exchange Seminar – This seminar brings together the civilian and military medical communities for an exchange of best practices. The seminar highlights how advances in battlefield medicine continue to change the spectrum of emergency and trauma care in the US.
- US Navy and San Francisco Fire Department Interoperable Trainings: Includes Urban Search & Rescue and Confined Space Shipboard Fire Fighting trainings, and EMS Ride Alongs.
Check out www.fleetweeksf.org for information on the myriad of public events, including the Blue Angels performance.